Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Back to School

I am in my third week of MB520 Anthropology from a Christian Perspective at Fuller Theological Seminary with Dr. Dan Shaw. A few weeks back, when the quarter started, I was surprisingly chirpy about the prospect of delving back into serious reflection and study. The idea of studying the study of culture seemed to be exciting (not necessarily the “studying” or the “study of” part, but the culture part).

It was a bit premature.

As I walked to my first night class on a Monday evening, a familiar apprehension assailed my sense of self-confidence. The reality of graduate work provided the pleasant experience of a gut thump in self-doubt. As I walked into the class I warily sized up the other students in the class and found a corner to set up my computer and to hunker down in. Shortly thereafter, Dr. Shaw walked in the room.

For a man of many moons and white hair, he was unexpectedly springy and spry. We soon came to understand that our professor had spent over 13 years living in the rainforest of Papa New Guinea with a small tribe of 700 people called the Samo. His passion, energy, and knowledge were quickly apparent (and that he had spent significant chunk of time in jungle isolation also became quickly evident). It was infectious. His enthusiasm quickly restored my confidence and ramped up my excitement for anthropology.

“Samo Dan” was the perfect response to my worries.

Our anthropological engagement over the first three weeks has laid down some fairly heavy theoretical ordinance. I am runnin’ for cover, and, I won’t lie, I have experienced a little shell shock. The front end of the quarter has firmly clenched theory between the teeth with no prospects of letting go. Thankfully, the fog is slowly lifting and my own understanding for anthropological theory is making progress.

Due to my full-time employment at the seminary over the past year, studies had taken a more leisurely pace. (With the help of tuition remission, I was able to crank out the occasional course.) This is my last quarter of being a nominal student. Starting in the summer, I will re-embark on the graduate journey (of anguish). With the recent decision to transition from full-time to part-time work, I will be taking a heavier course load of two or three courses per quarter.

Despite my initial anxiety and my exaggerated bemoanment, I am actually excited to roll up my sleeves and get my study on. School is fun... (kinda).

No comments: