Friday, December 18, 2009

Update: Germany Trippin'

I wanted to give a short, yet long overdue, update on our lives. (I also managed to cobble together a nifty photo album of our recent adventures in Germany, so check it out below.) As one may have surmised, we are in Germany right now and enjoying the “being backness” after several years in Pasadena. We actually left California at the beginning of October and made our way across the US to Virginia. We stayed in Harrisonburg for about six weeks where I was able to relax, get away from schoolwork and, for a change, work on some of my own projects and read for fun. Rebekka, on the other hand, did not leave Fuller behind and was busy with her online class, which she was able to complete two weeks ago here in Germany.

Towards the end of November we flew to Germany and began our circuit of visiting family and friends while traveling the swath of Germany. We first went to Sachsen and spent time with Rebekka’s grandparents, aunt and uncle and a host of cousins. We were also able to take a mini-vacation to the Ostsee (Baltic Sea) with Rebekka’s brother and cousins. Rebekka had wanted to take me to the Ostsee for a long time, a place which has a lot of meaning and memories for Rebekka since it was the vacation spot for her family during the DDR (East Germany) times. Rebekka was able to take a day trip to Halle to see old colleagues at the hair salon and at the church where she had helped with. After braving the Baltic coastal climate and enjoying time with family in Steinpleis, we headed down to Bodensee (Lake Constance) where we have ever been since.

I did make a trip up to Bammental last weekend, where I had lived for over four years, to make sure that I was able to see Megan Rosenwink and Michael Sharp, both former volunteers with me in Bammental, and who both insisted (selfishly) on being in the US for the holidays instead of hanging around for when Rebekka and I come to Bammental over New Years. In any case, it was great to be back in Bammental and reconnect with Megan and Michael, and all the wonderful people of the church and Hausgemeindschaft.

That is it for now. Hopefully I will be able to give some more updates on our lives and adventures in 2010. I guess you could say that I will try and be more intentional about getting my blog on.

4 comments:

bennik said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere!
Hope to read and see more!

ben wideman said...

the pictures look great! Good to hear you both are doing well. If you happen to run in to our friends, Lydia and Shawn Ramer-Hunter (fellow EMU grads living in Hinterzarten), please say hello from us!

Dave Stutzman said...

where is Hinterzarten?

Simon Kirsch said...

hello friend,
this was about time for a new post ;-)
hinterzarten is in bavaria, dave.
do you know yet, what time you will be in wiesbaden? make sure to let me know so we can hang out.
see you